How to rock your boudoir session
Updated: May 30, 2021
Ah.... Boudoir photography, the most empowering of all the photography niches! It's great when a female can get in front of the camera and be her awesome sexy self! I love helping women feel confident, beautiful and sensual. I just wanted to take some time to share with clients a few tips and pointers on how to prepare for a boudoir session.
1) Get a good night sleep, because let's face it, bags are something that should be carried on your arm, not hanging under your eyes. Mind you, most photographers can remove dark circles, but at the end of day, editing cannot get rid exhaustion. You also want to be alert and present and that won't happen if you're not feeling perky and rested.
2) Bring lots of outfit changes. Bring your favorite unmentionables. Sometimes, what you think might work and are really excited for, doesn't work or you change your mind. You can walk on set and realize half of the stuff you brought wont work and you don't want to be limited. Don't just bring outfits, bring sexy shoes, and some beautiful accessories to give your images that added pop!
3) DON'T get your hair cut or coloured, any part of your body waxed, or tan two weeks before your shoot. Here is a story as to why. My aunt was getting married and my mother wanted to look revamped for the big day, so she decided to try a new hair colour and dyed her hair the night before. What was supposed to be a chestnut red turned out to be more like purple version of Ronald McDonald! She missed the rehearsal dinner and spent 4 hours sitting in the chair at the hair dressers trying to correct it. Instead of looking her best, she had faded orange hair for the wedding. Just in case something does go wrong, you want to give yourself some room for correction before your shoot.
4) Moisturize! Not only does it make give your skin a healthy glow but if you're pale like I am, it can make your legs look slightly tanned. Also it makes your legs look longer!
5) RELAX and be confident. Forget underwear, bras and silk, the best way to be sexy is to be confident!
For me, a boudoir photo session is about celebrating being a woman, and embracing yourself as a female for all the beautiful things that you are, flaws and all. That's part of the reason my last boudoir client contacted me; to celebrate.